Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Gentle Fog


The Gentle Fog

The fog slips in sideways
to arrive unnoticed.
It adds a note of silence
into the music around you
until all relaxes into stillness.

It obscures details
that might otherwise distract you.
To allow you space to think
your most private thoughts in peace.
And then it gives you a secret place
to tuck them away for later.
For when you might need them again.

You entrust your thoughts to the mists
But when you turn to look away,
like a caring mother's kind discretion,
it hides the bad ones in its skirts
to save you the trouble.




Is this what the rest of the dream world looks like when the story has moved elsewhere?

4 Comments:

At 5/06/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Coeur Mechant said...

I enjoy fog and get plenty of it where I live in the SF Bay area. It is getting to be the time of year when thick fog rolls in through the Golden Gate every afternoon as the warm inland air rises and pulls in the fog off the Pacific Ocean.

 
At 5/06/2006 10:07 PM, Blogger Ptelea said...

I love fog, especially since we get so little of it. Your description fits so well. And it makes some sense of why I feel the need to hide from the sun sometimes - we get too much of it!

 
At 5/07/2006 12:21 AM, Blogger Val Serrie said...

Here in Dallas, we get almost no fog ever. It's rainy today, however. That would be my fault - because I got my car washed at the school's fundraiser car wash. Literally7, I couldn't get home before it got rained on! POURED no less.
I miss the fog. There no time like a good nighttime fog to do some deep thinking.

Thanks. And thanks for the picture, Ptelea. The poem was already in the picture. I just wrote down the words.

v

 
At 5/09/2006 8:21 PM, Blogger Ellie said...

Rainy fall evenings in the midwest,are wet, damp, and foggy. Light from around the lamp posts glowed in the fog. When I was a kid growing up in Chicago, I could sit by the window on my back porch and watch the clouds pass though that glowing area. Makes me sentimental you two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home